Great Marathon and Plan to Return (about: 2012)|
S. A. from Idaho (5/24/12)
50+ previous marathons
| 1 Lake Lowell Marathon
I only had one month to train for this marathon. Therefore, I went into it knowing that I would have to run it slowly and my only goal was to finish it non-stop and enjoy the experience. From that perspective, I would offer the following comments:
Rolling hills during the initial miles. None of these are particularly long or steep. Mile 3 offers a beautiful view of the valley and miles 4-8 are relatively flat with views of Lake Lowell. Miles 9-19 are absolutely flat and pass through peaceful farmland and countryside. Rolling hills and residential areas make up miles 20-25. The steepest hill of the course (mile 20) does not last long. You finish in a small park next to the lake.
The course is not closed. This means the road is open and family can find safe areas to wait and cheer. This was the first time my wife and I could share the experience during an actual marathon itself, as opposed to only at the finish. We will always have a great memory together. The volunteers were without exception enthusiastic, helpful, supportive and deserve a big thank you. There could be no marathon without them.
The number of participants doubled between 2011 and 2012 and yet this marathon was well organized and executed.
Suggestions (NOT criticisms):
1) More port-a-potties needed at the staging (start) area. The one public bathroom at the park was not enough.
2) As the race continues to grow, more coned-off areas on the west side of the lake and especially during the final miles will be needed.
3) Finisher medal. I appreciated both the gold finish and the complete lack of advertising on it. Thank you very much.
4) T-shirt. The finishing and distribution of the t-shirt posed challenges this year. I know the race organizers will learn from the experiences of this year's race.
5) Keep the same start time of 8:00 a.m. I was grateful for the extra rest, to be able to park our car so close to the start and to not need to catch a bus on race morning.
A great experience, enjoyed the course, well organized and a big thank you to all. I definitely plan to return.