Awesome first-time marathon event (about: 2008)|
George Rehmet from San Francisco, CA (11/20/08)
11-50 previous marathons
| 1 Grand Canyon Marathon
Usually, first-time marathon events experience major problems, but not the Grand Canyon Marathon.
The small negatives:
- A few parts in the first half of the course were unclear and some runners got lost.
- Not enough time at the start to enjoy the view.
- Altitude and hills (but I could live with that).
The big positives:
- Great schwag: A Teva reusable bag, discount coupons, Teva sandals, Grand Canyon magnet and book, pack of cards, food samplers, commuter mug, and long-sleeve tech shirt.
- Finisher's medal was a pin, which is more useful.
- Photos of runners in action were taken and given at the end of the race.
- Scenic course of the canyon and later the forest.
- Great volunteers, which were plentiful in the second half of the course. Volunteers tended to your every needs.
- Free massage at the end.
- Plentiful raffle prizes.
- Enough finish line food, which was enjoyed in the tent.
- Shuttle ride to the start was scenic.
- Did I mention the great volunteers?
I hope that this event will occur again. This is a unique way to experience the Grand Canyon.