FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The "Greening O' the Pig" Makes
Flying Pig Marathon Environmentally Friendly
CINCINNATI - (March 17, 2008) - On this St. Patrick's Day, the 10th
Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon joins the "wearing of the green" with a
number of green initiatives to make Marathon weekend, May 2-4,
environmentally friendly and responsible.
"In this time of environmental awareness, it's only natural that the Flying
Pig Marathon would join the 'green' movement," said Iris Simpson-Bush,
executive director. "While the Marathon always has been concerned about the
environment, this year we have a number of partners who will help us make
this year's event even more environmentally responsible."
For example, the Flying Pig Marathon joins the Cincinnati Park Board to
cover the event's "carbon footprint" by planting trees that will use the
carbon dioxide created by the event. The "Pig" is the first marathon in the
country to have such an initiative.
* Duke Energy is helping to educate the public and heighten awareness of on
environmentally friendly measures.
* Natorp's Garden Store is helping to underwrite the cost of trees to be
planted in collaboration with the Park Board.
* The Pig will be recycling approximately 28,000 plastic bottles that will
be recycled to produce fleece jackets which are then distributed to inner
* Rumpke cardboard trash containers will be recycled at Finish Line and
throughout - approximately 2 tons.
* Toyota is supplying Hybrid pace cars.
* First Student Bus Company, which has strong environmental standards,
hybrid buses and emission control policies, will be donating buses for
* Keep Cincinnati Beautiful is providing recycling bins for along the
course, at the Finish Line and at the Victory Party.
* The Pig will assist 5K sponsor Fleet Feet Sports to find volunteers who
will pick up trash and beautify the 5K course the week before the event.
* Tide is sponsoring the pick up of discarded clothing (as race
participants shed layers), will have them laundered. The clothing then will
be donated to local charities.
* All race awards will be manufactured from recycled materials.
* Attendees of the Expo and race participants will be able to donate money
towards the planting of the trees.