Improved from several years ago, but... (about: 2012)|
R. S. from Hong Kong (5/28/12)
6-10 previous marathons
| 2 Sundown Marathons
Second time I have done this race, the last was in 2010.
- Much improved start/finish location on Nicoll Highway not far from Suntec City. Best of all there is an MRT station right next to the start line so much easier to get to the start then in previous years. The MRT is closed by the time you finsih the marathon/half marathon, but it is only a short walk to find a taxi.
- Was able to pick my number up on race evening itself (although organisers still don't advertise this, I had to ask several times).
- Course was much more interesting than last time. Course goes around the city, past the Singapore Flyer, past Marina Bay Sands, much more interesting than the old course near the airport. Course is not all on roads - some is road, some paths (shared with the public, although with a 1230am start there were not a lot of people around), also through parks (had to run on grass at one point). Some parts of course were quite dark, but this added to the novelty. A real night marathon.
- General organisation was excellent. Well stocked drink stations with water and sports drink. Water, sports drink, bananas and medal at the finish. Bag storage very efficient. Good facilities/orgnaisation at start line, plenty of water and toilets.
- Pre-race information patchy. Why can't they give details about race day packet collection to out of town entrants? Why can't they provide detailed directions for walking to the start line? No idea...
- The course was not completely closed to traffic. Even the top 5% of runners were stopped at several points in the race to let traffic through. Awful!
Overall a much better experience than 2010. This race has a lot of potential (and is now very popular) and I like the novelty of running at night. Organisation has improved, but I was disappointed that the course was not closed to traffic and i was forced to stop and wait for traffic to cross the course. Hopefully this race can continue to improve.