New Race Management for 2007/New Course
Douglas W. Collins
Thanks to all the MarathonGuide.com runners for your valuable input. As producers, we know we had good planning for our marathon but less than perfect execution although we did have some exemplary performances. But no matter who is at fault, the ultimate responsibility falls on the organizers of the event and that is the two of us.
To that end, we have made major changes for 2007 including the following:
- We have a new race director, Alan Woodruff from Palm Desert. Alan is a marathon runner, a triathlete, a race director of two major S. CA races, a race announcer and a running coach. We also have hired as our Event Manager, Brenda Ramsey who has years of experience with the LA Marathon, the Orange County Marathon and the new Las Vegas Marathon. Details are posted to our website at www.MarathonDeMayo.com.
- We have improved our marathon course to be a loop design with a final three miles along the Truckee River. This gives us beauty, cooler temperatures and shade along the finishing miles.
- We are currently recruiting more volunteers, which is a good deal easier to do now that one event has been completed. We have made logistical corrections so that our aid stations will be properly staffed and supplied with a more de-centralized configuration. Check out the new course map online at www.MarathonDeMayo.com
- We have runners who have stepped up to be course monitors and course directors for each of our races.
- We have already booked classic rock superstar Al Stewart (Year of the Cat, Time Passages) as our closing headliner. There will be a lot more stages and more music on the new course design in 2007.
We have spent 6 weeks reviewing and analyzing what we did right in 2006 and what needs to be improved for 2007. We are committed to this marathon and to the safety of our runners. We have taken the steps to ensure a positive experience in 2007 for all participants.
While we were able to deliver some funding to our charity partners, we invite you to return in 2007 and help us build our event into one that delivers meaningful funding for these worthwhile charities (The Susan G. Komen Foundation, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, The Arthitis Foundation, and Literacy Outreach).
Thanks again. Check the website out to view a video of the course and to receive a special discount to all of our returning runners.
Douglas & Dianemarie Collins