Shiprock Marathon race details and preview
Shiprock Marathon is the only marathon on the Navajo Nation, offering runners a unique opportunity to run in the stunning Navajo country. Shiprock is also the longest-running marathon tradition (29 years!) in the Four Corners region.
The race is intimate (around 1200 total expected in 2012) but has many of the amenities of larger races.
Here are some of the reasons why you should come to Shiprock:
* Pre-race meal - your usual carb loading, along with a sampling of Navajo cuisine. Plus, some native entertainment, a race preview and guest speaker.
* Amazing Southwestern pottery age-group awards.
* Well-stocked aid stations all the way - 15 total, including each mile for the last six. Gels, drinks, fresh fruit and Clif Bars, plus pretzels and home-made goodies.
* Awesome views of the surrounding country, highlighted by the majestic Shiprock, the Chuska and Carrizo Mountains and the local Navajo communities of Red Valley, Mitten Rock and Shiprock.
* Bus transport to the start lines.
* Entertainment at the start lines, along the course and at the finish.
* Hearty fare at the finish, including fresh fruit, chocolate milk, Gatorade, bagels, muffins and pizza.
* A selection of races - marathon, half-marathon, 4-person relay (just about a 10K run for each) and a noncompetitive 10K trail run.
Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a call at (928) 429-0345 if you have any questions about the race.
Hope to see you in May. - Tom