Shiprock Marathon race details and preview
Shiprock Marathon is the only marathon on the Navajo Nation, offering runners a unique opportunity to run in the stunning Navajo country. Shiprock is also the longest-running marathon tradition (30 years!) in the Four Corners region.
The race is intimate (around 1500 total expected in 2014) but has many of the amenities of larger races.
* Packet pick-up on Friday includes a cool, small Expo and some very tasty fare and a good time at our Pasta Party.
* Amazing Southwestern pottery age-group awards.
* Well-stocked aid stations all the way - 16 total, including each mile for the last six. Gels, drinks, fresh fruit, Honey Stinger and Clif Bars, plus some salty and sweet snacks.
* Awesome views of the surrounding country, highlighted by the majestic Shiprock, the Chuska and Carrizo Mountains and the local Navajo communities of Red Valley, Mitten Rock and Shiprock.
* Bus transport to the start lines. We will get you there by 6:30 or so, with plenty of time for using the 25 portajohns and enjoying the drums.
* Entertainment at the start lines, along the course and at the finish.
* Hearty fare at the finish, including Subway sandwiches, chips, oranges, cookies, chocolate milk, Gatorade and bagels.
* A selection of races - marathon, half-marathon, 5-person relay and a noncompetitive 10K trail run.
Please feel free to contact me at email@example.com or give me a call at (928) 429-0345 if you have any questions about the race.
Hope to see you in May. - Tom