FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Moulton Defends, Seckinger Wins ING Hartford Marathon Titles
Tarpy, Kosgei half-marathon champions; more than
10,000 participants at 16th edition
HARTFORD, Conn. - (October 10, 2009) - The ING Hartford Marathon stepped
off its 16th edition with more than 10,000 participants in the marathon,
half-marathon and 5K races on Saturday morning. Recognized as a Regional
Championship by Road Runner's Club of America, the event celebrated its
first year as the "Greenest Road Race in America" and enjoyed a strong
follow-up year to its inaugural New England's Finest Elite Program from
For a second straight year, Patrick Moulton of Providence, RI, won the
marathon, crossing the finish line in 2 hours, 25 minutes, 22 seconds.
Moulton, 27, was once again recognized within the New England's Finest
Elite Program, which doubled his prize money to $6000. Kenyan Titus
Mutinda, 44, of Lowell, MA was runner-up in 2:29:14.
In the women's race, Jeannette Seckinger, 27, of Somerville, MA, took first
place in 2:46:33, a personal record, and also pocketed $6000, while Diona
Fulton, 29, of Somerville, MA ran 2:51:12 to finish second.
The top three runners in the men's and women's marathons were awarded in
the New England's Finest Elite Program.
In the men's half-marathon, Brown University student Patrick Tarpy, 27, of
Providence, RI, took first place in 1:04:43. With a time of 1:06:14,
Ethiopian Derese Deniboba of High Falls, NY, was second and his fellow
Westchester Running Club member and Kenyan Harbert Dkuti, also of High
Falls, NY, took third (1:07:55).
In the women's 13.1 mile race, Kenyan Salome Kosgei, 29, of High Falls, NY,
won in 1:16:31. Following closely in second place was Alemtsehay Misganaw
of Ethiopia in 1:16:39 with Gabriela Trana of Costa Rica third (1:19:23).
In the 5K, High Falls, NY, runner Joseph Ekuom and Michelle Sarney of West
Bridgewater, MA won in 15:25 and 17:56 respectively.
The Hartford Marathon Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit organization founded
in 1994 to create and manage fitness events to benefit the local community.
Located in Glastonbury, Connecticut, the Hartford Marathon Foundation
organizes more than 25 annual athletic events, including the ING Hartford
16th ING Hartford Marathon
Hartford, CT, Saturday, October 10, 2009
1) Patrick Moulton (USA / NH), 2:25:22, $6000
2) Titus Mutinda, 44, KEN, 2:29:14, $4500
3) Evan Graves (USA / ME), 2:32:23, $1750
1) Jeannette Seckinger (USA / MA), 2:46:33, $6000
2) Diona Fulton (USA / MA), 2:51:12, $3500
3) Tara Cardi, 40, RI, 2:53:31, $2750
4) Mary-Lynn Currier, 45, CT, 2:55:31, $1250
1) Patrick Tarpy (RI), 1:04:43, $2000
2) Derese Deniboba (ETH), 1:06:14, $750
3) Harbert Okuti (KEN), 1:07:55, $500
4) Curtis Wheeler (USA / ME), 1:08:43, $500
1) Salome Kosgei (KEN), 1:16:31, $1000
2) Alemtsehay Misganaw (ETH), 1:16:39, $750
3) Gabriela Trana (CRC), 1:19:23, $500
4) Cheryl Anderson (USA / CT), 1:20:44, $1000
5) Jennifer Campbell (USA / NH), 1:23:24, $500
Deeper results at: www.INGhartfordmarathon.com