FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Jack Fleming
2007 Boston Marathon: Final, Official Results
Registration for 2008 Boston Marathon to open in September
BOSTON - (July 13, 2007) - Official Finishers' Certificates and copies of
the Boston Marathon Racers' Record Book, containing the official results of
the 111th running of the Boston Marathon, were mailed to all 2007
participants this week.
Following the adjudication of results, there were 20,338 official finishers
for the 2007 Boston Marathon, the second-highest total in event history,
behind only the 100th running in 1996 which boasted 35,868 finishers. In
total, based on the adjudication process, 17 individuals were removed from
the 2007 Boston Marathon results and seven were added.
The most notable change to the results was the removal of seventh-place
female Lyubov Denisova (RUS) as a result of a positive out-of-competition
drug test. Denisova was found to have an elevated testosterone level and
tested positive for Prostanozol in a test conducted on March 20, 2007.
Denisova now faces a two-year ban from competition, and all results posted
after the test have been invalidated.
Athletes who finished behind Denisova were moved up one place in the final
standings, and prize money was reallocated based on the new results. The
adjusted women's top finishers are as follows:
Place / Athlete / Time / Prize Money
1) Lidiya Grigoryeva (RUS), 2:29:18, $100,000
2) Jelena Prokopcuka (LAT), 2:29:58, $40,000
3) Madai Perez (MEX), 2:30:16, $22,500
4) Rita Jeptoo (KEN), 2:33:08, $18,000
5) Deena Kastor (USA), 2:35:09, $14,000 + $25,000*
6) Robe Tola Guta (ETH), 2:36:29, $12,000
7) Alice Chelangat (KEN), 2:38:07, $9,000
8) Ann Alyanak (USA), 2:38:55, $7400 + $15,000*
9) Kristin Price (USA), 2:38:57, $5700 + $10,000*
10) Mary Akor (USA), 2:41:01, $4200 + $6000*
11) Christine Lundy (USA), 2:41:14, $2600 + $4000*
12) Janelle Kraus (USA), 2:41:24, $2100 + $3000*
13) Zoila Gomez (USA), 2:41:36, $1800 + $2500*
14) Melissa White (USA), 2:42:56, $1700 + $2000*
15) Kelly Flathers (USA), 2:43:25, $1500 + $1500*
16) Dot McMahan (USA), 2:43:56, $1000*
*USA Women's Marathon Championship prize money
Among the participants in this year's race were representatives from 21
official Boston Marathon charities. In total, these runners raised a record
$10 million for area charities.
The 112th Boston Marathon is scheduled for Monday, April 21, 2008. Once
again the race will feature a two-wave start, with the first 10,000 runners
beginning at 10:00am and the remainder of the field at 10:30am.
Registration for the 2008 Boston Marathon will begin on Wednesday,
September 5, 2007 at 9:00am (EST) at: BAA.org.