Ok, I have a decision to make. I've mentioned this before, but now I'm getting down to the wire and need to really decide. Here it's the deal:
I'm scheduled for two marathons in May--Sat., May 4 is Odgen, and Sat., May 26 is Tri-State.
The first (Odgen) is a gentle downslope (with some flat) marathon. My son (age 25) is running his first marathon there.
The second (Tri-State) is severe downhill. My son isn't registered for that marathon.
I want to run one of the two in 3:35 to qualify for Boston (BQ). Keep in mind that 3:35 will push me to the limit on the Ogden course. I don't have much room for error. My training says that I can indeed do it, but everything will have to go very well. OTOH, I know I can easily maintain the necessary pace in the downhill Tri-State--provided my quads don't give out before I get to the end. (I've done some hill training but not a lot.)
So should I race Ogden, do the best I can, and skip Tri-State (or just use it as a slow fun run)? That would make sense if I actually BQ at Ogden.
Or should I jog Ogden with my son, and use it as a training run. Note: I ran a 24-mile training run last week at a pace faster than my son plans to run, and I quickly recovered from the 24-miler. So I'm sure I'd be recovered easily for Tri-State three weeks later.
Or should I race Ogden in hopes of BQing, and if I don't, hope that I recover in 3 weeks and try to race Tri-State.
Oh, one other tidbit. The Odgen marathon is certified already, but the Tri-State Marathon is only "scheduled" to be certified. The Tri-State officials say that certification will happen by May 26, but I'm not 100% sure.
What do you recommend?
Post a reply on the Bulletin Board | Send email reply to Dr. Z