I actually plan to do the following (which is what we did on the 1/2 marathon back when we did that in January I guess it was, and we blew thru our "expected time" by 1/2 hour...!)
1. I carry a water bottle, starting with Endurox in it. (one scoop per bottle.) As a side note, I have talked with some other runners and they find that they experience less of a "bloated feeling" from Accellerade (although by comparing the canisters, they look like the exact same thing), so I'm probably going to give Accellerade a try this time as well -- sort of "mix it up" b/c the race isn't as important as it is as a "test" for the marathon...
2. When I'm thru with the bottle, get it filled up at the nearest volunteer station. If you go to the very beginning or very end of the station and just ask, they will fill your bottle up with water. It's easiest if you can "scope out" where the water is and where the "gatorade stuff" is on the table as you are approaching -- so you don't wind up on the "gatorade side."
3. I have made Endurox "packets" (by putting a scoop inside of a square of typing paper folded over then taped, so it's about 3" square), and I tear off one corner, and pour it into the water. This worked quite well when we tried it on the 18 miler (for the 20 miler, the dog carried bottles of Endurox, so we didn't have to "mix" them on the run).
4. I will just use the replacer throughout -- I find that I don't care for the way that water hits my stomach after I've been running for a while (weird, I know, but there you go), so I'm going to stick with 100% Endurox.
5. Since I'm just giving the Accellerade a try, I will actually probably use it "first" -- if it works out, great, if it doesn't, I'll just switch to the Endurox packets.
6. I will use GU every other walk break, after the first bottle of Endurox is gone -- yeah, this is a heckuva lot of GU -- but that is what we did for the 20 miler. So, in my fanny pack I will have all that GU (for both me AND my boyfriend), plus the Endurox/Accellerade "dry packs."
That's the theory at least.....
It's pouring here right now -- here's hoping for no rain Sunday that's for sure!
Post a reply on the Bulletin Board